1 can refried beans
1/2 can of coconut milk
1 can of water
1/2 of a medium onion, diced
1 large chicken breast, shredded (I cooked the chicken earlier in the week with just salt and pepper)
1/2 cup of rice (I used brown rice that I had cooked already)
1/2 can of corn
1/2 can of black beans
1 tablespoon of parsley
Garlic powder or fresh (as much or as little as you prefer)
Salt and pepper to taste
Olive oil or butter for sautéing
1. Put olive oil or butter in bottom of a large sauce pan and added diced onions. Cook until translucent about 5 minutes.
2. Add corn, beans, rice, and chicken (the rice and chicken should already be cooked). Stir to combine and cook for 5 minutes.
3. Add refried beans, coconut milk, water, parsley, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
4. Allow to simmer on medium heat for about 10-15 minutes. Serve with sour cream, cheese, raw onion, plantain crisps, whatever you like!!
1 green plantain
Butter or oil
1. Preheat oven to 375 if baking them. You can also fry them if you want to.
2. Peel the plantain and cut into 1/2 inch thick rounds.
3. If baking, place on baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil or butter. (If frying see directions below)
4. Bake for 10 minutes and then flip. Bake for another 5 minutes.
5. Once finished cut rounds into 4 strips and toss with a little salt.
3. If frying, using a pan place enough oil in the pan to cover the rounds.
4. Once it is hot place the rounds in the oil and flip after 5 minutes. Allow to cook for another 3 minutes.
5. Pull the rounds out and smash them with a glass, rolling pin, whatever you have.
6. Place them back in the oil for another couple minutes until they are crispy.
7. Allow to drain on paper towels and sprinkle with salt while they are still hot.
8. Cut rounds into strips.
Submitting by Audrey Wise Group 85