- 1 package or 2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Head of Cabbage
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 small onion
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Pinch Cinnamon (optional)
- Pepper Sauce to taste
- 1 Can of chunk chicken or 1 chicken breast (Omit if vegetarian)
- 1 egg
- In a medium bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Let stand until frothy, about 10 minutes.
- Add flour, olive oil, and salt.
- Pour dough onto floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes or until smooth.
- While dough is rising slice thinly cabbage and onions. Dice carrots into small pieces.
- Place in clean bowl and let rise for 1 hour.
- Punch down and let rise for another 15 mins.
- During the last 15 mins add all the filling ingredients into a pan and cook until soft.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Put cabbage filling into strainer to get as much juice out as possible.
- Cut dough into 4 equal parts and roll 1 section out until it’s about 1/4 inch thick.
- Using a cup at least 4 inches in diameter (larger if you want to make larger pies) cut circles out of dough (2 circles for each pie).
- Grease cookie sheet and place the bottom of the pies on the pan.
- Mix egg in bowl with a dash of water.
- Add a spoonful of filling on the bottom circle and brush the egg wash on the outside edges of the dough.
- Spread the top circle over the filling and press together with fork.
- Cut slits in the top of the pies with knife.
- Place cookie sheet in oven and cook for 20 mins or until golden brown.
- Serve with sour cream, if desired, and enjoy!
The filling can be switched to a sweet filling such as apples or bananas. You could make taco pies with beef, taco seasoning, tomatoes, onions, cheese, lettuce, etc.